Friday, March 29, 2013

...I'm Not Always a Hit at Parties


“Meanwhile,” I told him, “A child is dying.”

It didn’t have any impact on what he was saying; I’d simply used the nonsequitor to shake things up, bored as I was with the conversation.

It helped that I didn’t like him.

It helped more that it happened to be true. With seven billion people on earth a child was inevitably dying somewhere.

I basically said it to shut him up.

It not only worked, he never spoke to me again.

So, if you’re ever stuck in a really boring conversation with somebody you hate, I suggest you do the same….

3 comments:

  1. Whatever works, right? LOL, I'll file that one for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, love it! I'm going to try it this weekend as I'm probably going to be in a situation perfect for it at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great advice! Good story. Got a chuckle out of me.

    ReplyDelete