Thursday, August 16, 2012

Communication


“Honey, we need to talk.”

“You’re quite right, we very much do. We need to talk. But more than that, we need to write, we need to sing, communication is basically the most fundamentally important activity we, as humans, undertake. It’s been said that our opposable thumbs are what separates us from the beasts, but they really aren’t. Plenty of primates have thumbs. What separates us from the beasts is our ability to communicate with one another, to conceptualize on an abstract level, to make complex plans and, working together, to make those plans a reality. You raise a point both subtle and prescient, my darling. We do need to talk. Everyone does. But how often to we stop to really reflect properly upon this underlying truth of the human condition. Thank you. Thank you, you truly have given me a lot to think about on this day…”

“No, you’re misunderstanding me. I suspect you’re deliberately misunderstanding me. What I meant is: I need to talk to you here, now. This isn’t working out between us, I want to break up with you.”

“Yeah, I know. I was just seeing how much of your time I could waste before you got around to saying it.”

1 comment:

  1. ha ha ha - this is so true. I liked it. picked up one thing - often to we stop to really

    should it not be often do - we stop

    ReplyDelete