Friday, January 16, 2015

Through the Doors


In an instant the night was destroyed by day, which in turn was divided by night, by endless night...

And in that night it came, it came for us, one and all.

Nobody knew exactly what it was we’d inadvertently unleashed when we breached the wall between worlds, thrown open the doors, because nobody had ever seen it and survived, but whatever it was it was not of this world, and all that was left of its victims…

I can’t, I can’t even begin. I’m sorry, I just can’t. It sickens me, my stomach hurts at the thought, my soul hurts. I don’t ever want to think of what it did to those poor, damned fools, not ever again. And yet, part of me knows that it’s not something I’ll ever be able to forget.

So those of us left scattered to the four winds, in the hopes that whatever it was we’d given access to our defenseless world might allow us to live out our days. We wouldn’t live them out in peace, there would be no peace for any one of us ever again and we knew it, but we hoped we might be allowed at least to live…

Even as the world ends, even for those responsible for ending it, hope springs. And though we knew there would be nothing we could do to save our miserable world from the unspeakable thing we’d unleashed, we held on to our hopes for base survival.

And so, we tried to run.

We tried to hide.

Because something had broken through, from the other side…

4 comments:

  1. This reminds me a bit of Lovecraft, but in a good way. :)

    VERY cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of The Doors song Break on Through (to the Other Side).

    ReplyDelete
  3. The creature reminded me of a Grue. Then I got to the last line and chuckled out loud. Well played :-)

    ReplyDelete